Jul 5, 2011

SkateMoms Chat!

Got an issue? Got a story? Got an idea to make skating better for you and your kids?

Join me and @RinkSideDamned (aka St. Lidwina) for the first ever #skatemoms chat on Twitter, Sunday July 10 at 8 p.m. Central Time.

We'll do the chat every Sunday at 8, talking about specific topics (How do you choose skates? How do you handle vacations? How do I tell my coach his breath is bad? Where do I hide the bodies?) or, like this first one, in Open Forum-- anything goes-- just to get to know each other.

We want to know what you want to talk about, so bring your ideas, and tell your friends. We'll parse them all out and create a calendar. I hope we'll be able to get some guests, like Rainbo Sportshop to talk about skates, or perhaps even some skaters and their moms who've "been there."

If you're not on Twitter, now's the time! You don't have to tweet, or follow anyone, or pay any attention to the whole rigamarole--just give yourself a name, and you can join us. Don't want to join? You can still follow the chat by going to Tweetchat.com and enter the hashtag #skatemoms. Even if you're not signed in through a Twitter account you can still read the conversation.

So put the date and time in your calendar-- Sunday, July 10, 8 p.m. Central Time (so sorry, UK, we had to balance the followers in Oz with the followers in Middle Earth, and there seemed to be more down there.)

12 comments:

  1. Thank you to you both for putting it together!! Sooooo wish I could make it... Will surely follow the chat with great interest, and offer first aid to survivors as soon as I get online, if there is any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May wake up at 2am to join you good job I am not working/skating on a monday at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen this - Kids on ice is such a great idea!!

    http://www.iskateriedell.com/2011/rachael-flatt-donates-12-pairs-of-riedell-skates-to-kids-on-ice/

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymom, I love programs like this. There are actually two local programs like it-- CitySkate, managed by Jason Brown's coach Kori Ade, and IceReach, managed by the Shipstead family of Ice Capades fame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not just discuss stuff on, for example, skatingforums2.com Parents/Judges/Coaches forum? Twitter is really poor for multi-person conversations with several topics going on at once. Do people really need to send the messages from their phones or something? I view Twitter as more broadcast/announcement-oriented. Though if you do not need to link it to a phone, RSS is even better for that.

    I'm finding it very hard to follow the conversation, reading it several hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, if Twitter doesn't work for you then don't participate. Or, alternately, the entire world could just adjust to your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I am missing the obvious, but I could only read the last 20+ tweets on tweetchat, signed in or not... Help? Is transcript a possibility?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, there's a way to get a transcript. Haven't had time to figure it out. Did you try entering the #skatemoms tag as a search just on twitter? That might get you a complete stream, not sure. But at any rate, eventually I'll figure out the transcript thing and start posting that on the Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If Twitter doesn't work for you then don't participate."

    I didn't. But obviously you want people to participate, and I was suggesting that people in general might find any forum easier to use. How many people need SMS? Twitter is crippled to be SMS compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have 500 followers on Twitter. Someone is participating. This why I also have the blog, and the Facebook page and my email address hanging out for the world to see. Trust me, if you saw my inbox and DMs you would know that no one is having difficulty communicating with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Multi-person conversations are always difficult regardless of venue, but that adds to the fun (which I am unfortunately missing due to lesson).

    Xan, direct search on Twitter does not work either, really hoping transcripts are not too much problem!

    ReplyDelete